Our Green Story
At Morag’s Lodge, we make great efforts to follow good sustainability practices to minimise the environmental impact of our operations and to help protect our natural and historic surroundings. We are extremely proud to hold a Gold Green Tourism Award which recognises our strong commitment to sustainable tourism.
We actively share these sustainable practises with our awesome team, suppliers and guests and seek their support in following our environmental policies. We always welcome contributions and suggestions on new sustainable tips!
What are we doing to protect the places we love?
1. All glass, plastics, paper, cardboard and cans are recycled.
2. We have a reuse policy – our bike shed, fence and bar are all made from old bunks and construction waste!
3. All toilets have an eco flush mechanism and measures have been taken to reduce water. We also have signs asking people only to put toilet roll down and nothing else.
4. Plants on the premise are watered from the water butts.
5. We use eco-friendly cleaning products and suppliers wherever possible.
6. Heating and hot water is turned on at 6.00am, turned off at 10am, back on at 4pm and off at 11.30pm. This is controlled centrally. On a day to day basis heating in rooms is monitored and the heating turned off if the room is not being used.
7. We use low energyand LED light bulbs.
8. We have signs up asking people to turn off lights in bedrooms and have timed lights in the corridors with sensors.
9. Our evening meals are all homemade and freshly produced each day using seasonal ingredients.
10. We use local suppliers for all goods and we work closely with other local businesses.
11. We aim to use Fair trade products as much as possible including coffee, tea and sugar.
12. We use a composting bin.
13. We grow our own herbs & vegetables.
14. We do not replace towels unless specifically requested.
How can you help protect the environment when travelling?
1. Travel – travel in an environmental sensitive way. Take a tour, use public transport where you can or better still, walk or cycle. For up to the minute travel and public transport information please contact Traveline.
2. Water – We all need to conserve water. Turn off the tap when cleaning your teeth and always follow towel policies in accommodation providers.
3. Energy – Turn off lights when you leave a room and close windows when the heating is on, every action helps.
4. Nature - Respect nature and wildlife by not littering, guarding against fire and using footpaths and cycle-ways responsibly. Follow the Countryside Code here.
5. Shop Local - Use local products and services. They give you a flavour of the area and help support local communities. We are fortunate to have some fantastic producers of food, drink, and arts and crafts in our region. Ask and we can help! Alternatively, you can check out VisitScotland.
6. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - Try to avoid overly packaged goods and say no to that extra carrier bag. Recycle any waste you have.
7. Green Tourism Business Scheme - Look out for the symbol and please support those businesses that are working to reduce their carbon footprint. We have a GOLD award! The scheme is open to tour operators, visitor attractions, activity providers, accommodation providers, restaurants and other businesses.